davidedmundson added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> mart wrote in Label.qml:27
> the reason for the padding is that it makes it correctly vertically aligned
> with other widgets both in a Row and a RowLayout.
> without this default height, every label should be manually vertically
> centered in layouts, and people will simply not do that, mostly because most
> people simply won't see the incorrect alignment, not even when explicitly
> pointed to them.

It probably made sense when it was written, but your comments about layouts is
outdated.

No manual changes are needed.

try:
https://paste.kde.org/pgi2ui6e3

If it was a problem we'd be seeing it all the time in the config modules.

It is true for manual positioning and anchors, but I think the vast majority of
the time where we'd want to be aligned to a button we'd be in a layout with
that button.

I'm sure there will be some changes needed, but it'll be few. (if I remove the
line in my QQC1 label locally, I can't see any)

In constrast run this on your workspace folder:
find -name '*.qml' | xargs grep 'height:' | grep  paintedHeight

and you'll see the number of times we have to reverse this logic.

REPOSITORY
  R242 Plasma Framework (Library)

EMAIL PREFERENCES

To: mart, #plasma
Cc: davidedmundson, broulik, plasma-devel, #frameworks, progwolff, lesliezhai,
ali-mohamed, jensreuterberg, abetts, sebas, apol