On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, masakazu wrote:
> I've just started to implement conversion functions between the
> position on
> screen and the position in the context. Your work is very much helpful
> for me.
> I will stop my job for a while to wait you finish.

I suggest you (or I or whoever) use the SearchAdjust() function (or
whatever it is) from document.c for one direction.  Just set the search
pattern to length zero.  In the past, the SearchAdjust() function was very
slow.  It is now MUCH faster (as of last night's commit).

I am still tempted to implement a dual system, which lists both pixel
offsets and character offsets, and uses the character offsets only when
the pixel offsets are off.

The only issue is speed here.  I have a 200mhz arm, so for me there are no
speed issues.  But I don't know how long things take on a 68K system.  I
would like people to try the latest version in CVS and tell me if the
amount of time it takes to seek to a search result is an acceptable amount
of time for going to a bookmark or moving via back/forward buttons or
showing the text when going back to a text that has already been viewed.

Here's how to test it.  Search for some word that occurs a couple of
times, with the "Search in all pages" option.  The seek time is the time
from selecting an item in the search list, to that item showing up on the
screen.  Is that an acceptable length of time?

Alex

--
Dr. Alexander R. Pruss  || e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Philosophy Department   || online papers and home page: