On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 02:24:09PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 29-Nov-2001 Rocco Caputo wrote:
> > Probably done in POE::Object or POE::Component or something.  I'd like
> > to see the object layer get away from Session as the unit of
> > interaction.  Sessions just aren't built for it, and I don't see a
> > reason to make them into it yet.
> >
> > Maybe I'll figure it out in the spring and it'll all be good.
>
> I've writen (and am going to deploy ANY DAY NOW) JAAS (just another app
> server) which includes an "object layer" we *cough* argued over at the
> begining of summer.

I'm really looking forward to see it :)
IIRC you said something about JAAS development but it didn't seemed as
it would be the kind of object layer we are looking for. please surprise
us :)

anyway, i think this is a general problem. is there something like a
common idea of how the object layer should look like ?
there can be different ones of course, but there will be redundancy somehow.
and as our time to work on them is limited, i don't think this is good.
i hope we will find a way that we all like ...

> I need to finish documenting it and start showing it to folks.  Roughly,
> the object layer has the following properties:
>
> - objects are perl objects.  As much as possible, they look like regular
> method calls.  In fact, ideally a method could be invoked directly or via
> POE.
>
> - all access to POE is via JAAS::Services, which does some pretty messy
> things at times.
>
> - each object is attached to a session that accepts/sends events
>
> - JAAS methods are declared via a hash that a method called 'method()'
>   returns.  An object's session calls this method when the object is
>   attached to it.

there are several things that come to my mind that need to be addressed,
and i;d like to see how you solved them. personally i have rather detailed
thoughts about what i would need, the solutions are for some cases not
as detailed :)

torvald