On 16/11/2011 17:15, Makarius wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Rob Arthan wrote:

On 16 Nov 2011, at 15:17, Phil Clayton wrote:

I suspect those involved with large scale theorem proving will start
moving to 64 bit OSes, if not already, so one application can address
more than 4GB memory, as that amount of physical memory is becoming
quite common these days.

Seconded: at least one user of ProofPower (me) and many users of
Isabelle are already in that situation.

Yes, the big applications are already using x86_64 routinely, with 8-32
GB memory requirement. Pretty soon, x86 will be only for "small"
portable devices.

OK. I've now added CInterface.null as a persistent vol (the only one) containing (void*)0. It should be possible to test for null by using fromClong x = 0.

I've just started thinking about how to do callbacks for X86/64. They're more complicated than for X86/32 because some arguments are in registers but I think I can probably get round this.

The other issue for X86/64 is that CInterface doesn't currently support calling foreign functions with floating point arguments. Getting this to work would require some big changes to the code.

David