On Fri Oct 29, 2021 at 04:03:00PM +0200, Frederic Cambus wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 07:20:00AM +0200, Rafael Sadowski wrote:
>
> > I could imagine the time is right, so soon after the release. I would
> > like to import initial wayland ports and thus also a new category
> > "wayland".
> >
> > I realise that it will take time for wayland to work, but that is not
> > important for now.
> >
> > Example: x11/kde-applications/spectacle
> >
> > Spectacle needs kwayland/qtwayland as a strong dependency (I can build
> > this) to be able to take screenshots under either X11 or wayland.  Means
> > it is not needed at runtime but we can update it. (Currently stuck at a
> > very old version).
> >
> > Does this make sense to you? Is a new category OK for you?
> >
> > I would be very happy to receive feedback from all porters.
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
>
> I think it would make sense to import them if it makes your work on
> KDE easier. Also, being proactive regarding Wayland will allow to start
> upstreaming patches and ensure it at least keeps building on OpenBSD,
> so I view this as a good thing.

Thanks for the feedback.

> The potential downsides I see is that those packages might be auto-
> detected at configure time by some of our existing ports, and some ports
> might need to be adjusted.

Good point.

> Another question is how much time this will
> be adding to bulk builds, could you give some information about how long
> it takes to build those packages on your machine?

The whole Wayland category is quit small and builds really quickly. I
was surprised myself how slim the whole thing is. It's pure C without
heavy C++.

Of course QtWayland/KWayland is a different story but even that is okay
and that is my problem ;)

> No strong opinion regarding adding a new category, I noticed the other
> BSDs didn't seem to create a new category but this doesn't mean we
> shouldn't do it.

I think x11 and other categories will benefit form it in the long term.

Rafael