Section #9 states:
"We recommend you place the license in /usr/local/share/doc/<name>/."

If you've already have a /usr/local/share/<name>/ directory for the
application data files, as well as a /usr/local/share/<name>/doc/
directory for misc stuff (as well as a man page and gnuinfo page), is
there really any point in also creating the suggested directory just
for the license?

The port in question is GNU Backgammon, so I doubt there will be much
confusion with this one. On the other hand, if we're using the
suggested /usr/local/share/doc/<name>/ for keeping track of all
licenses of all installed ports, then I can see why it's a good thing.