> It would need to be overridden, I tried it a few ways and eventually hit
> on the approach in the attached tar. It's still a bit hacked together
> and some parts done in a quick-and-dirty way but it does at least start
> building ok (still running).
>
> MODPY_PYBUILD is mostly for ports using pyproject.toml files, though
> it can also work with standard setuptools-based builds. It might be
> possible to get pyside6 to work with that but it's not clear how to pass
> command-line arguments to setup.py with that, and pyside seems to need
> that (at least with how we install qtpaths6 outside of the path).
>
> There's another problem with running the build from python in that
> there's no easy way to pass through the cmake build flags from
> cmake.port.mk that set things up for a ports build, that needs looking
> at too (not done in my tar).

Thanks for working on this Stuart. Indeed it does seem quite hacky.
I'll continue to look into it. In the meantime I went ahead and
tried the other approach you suggested and it seems to work quite
well. I've attached a tarball of all three ports if you or anyone
want to give it a test.

> no idea, the split-llvm stuff is very new (and mainly there to make
> it easier to work on getting base ready for the newer version IIUC),
> I haven't looked into it much (and I would try to avoid it unless
> absolutely required for the software).

Regarding this, I left out the devel/llvm/13 for now and made a
comment about ignoring the non-reachable libs. In the pyside6/tools
package I think (based on looking at other ports of PySide6 and
intuition) that pyside6/pyside should be included as a LIB_DEPENDS.
However 'make port-lib-depends-check' is not sure it belongs there.
Aside from that, both 'portcheck' and 'make port-lib-depends-check'
seem to be happy.

Lastly, if you look at the PLIST from pyside6/tools, some scripts
and binaries are installed with very generic names. The FreeBSD
port moves them into the ${PREFIX}/bin/pyside6 directory. This
however is because they don't have a consumer yet as their FreeCAD
is using QT5 and PySide2. I need to test with the FreeCAD compilation
first before we decide to move/rename the scripts.