Stuart Cassoff [2008-09-13, 21:03:36]:
> Change summary and patch inline,
> README.OpenBSD attached
> (goes in lang/tcl/8.5/files).
>

> - Added ${LOCALBASE}/share/doc/tcltk8.5/README.OpenBSD containing
> info about the differences between the 'stock' Tcl/Tk installs
> and the OpenBSD port as well as info/patch to set up /etc/man.conf
> for Tcl/Tk. There is only one README.OpenBSD for both Tcl and Tk,
> installed when Tcl is installed. The information pertaining to
> both is nearly identical and Tk cannot be installed without Tcl
> ... is the reasoning behind this decision. It's not great but
> it's a start at least, and fairly complete.

Looks like a good start. I think you can just use PREFIX in this file
instead of LOCALBASE.

> - Removed message about new install locations from patches to Tcl/Tk's
> Makefiles; this information is now in README.OpenBSD.
> - Used more vars in port Makefile; easier to update but not pretty.
> Tcl and Tk port Makefiles now nearly identical.

Please reduce this, things like DISTNAME or SHARED_LIBS should be quickly
readable. You don't need the NAME (it won't change anyway), SHLIB_VERSION
and FULL_VERSION variables.
You could still write DISTNAME = tcl${VERSION}.${PATCHLEVEL} if needed,
there are other ports which have this, e.g. python.
Some variables get defined by the ports infrastructure through SHARED_LIBS
automatically, e.g. if you have
SHARED_LIBS=    foo     1.2
then you will have the LIBfoo_VERSION variable available for further use.

> - Removed from patches the major changes pertaining to building
> on m88k/vax. Building on non-shared archs was removed from Tcl
> due in part to some things not working so well or at all and that
> few people these days run non-shared archs. The patches now
> are cleaner and are very close to the ones I've already sent
> upstream. I've started testing building under simh/vax but it's
> slow going and I'd like to get this out now with hopefully a
> vax/m88k update coming soon. There are some changes ...
> the _pic.a files are now in PFRAG.shared and only built on
> shared archs. The .a libs will now not be built twice on
> non-shared archs.
> - Do not install file ldAix since we're not aix. Hijack
> TCL_BUILD_EXP Makefile target to build static lib on shared
> archs (ironically, it's only used on aix).
> - Use symlinks for man pages with multiple names. Saves some
> space and adds information.
> - Don't use -rpath.
> - Remove monkeying with install-sh in source dir.
> - Tk demos are now in ${LOCALBASE}/share/examples/tk8.5.
> - Removed Tcl/Tk resource info from DESC, expanded and
> added to README.OpenBSD.

Sounds like a good cleanup of this port, I'll try to take a closer look at
your diff later.