Mitchell asked:

>Can any of you good knowledgable folks recommend a history or two of
>bluegrass worth reading? Offlist I suppose. Thanking you in advance.

The book that has gotten the most praise on P2 in the past has been Neil V.
Rosenberg's "Bluegrass: A History" it is put out by the University of
Illinois Press.  Also, Robert Cantwell's "Bluegrass Breakdown" is worth
checking out even though it has some problems.  Another book that is edited
by Rosenberg is also interesting reading, it is called "Transforming
Tradition: Folk Music Revivals Examined"  a couple of chapters in that book
deal with bluegrass.

Happy reading,
Shannon