>  Speaking of which, has P2 ever talked about the whole California country
> rock style of harmony where it's always in unrelentingly sweet thirds-no
> tension, no dissonance, no variation? Obviously, the Bakersfield thang was
> another kettle of fish, but I find this particular style I'm talking about
> cloying whether it's the Byrds, the Eagles,  Desert
> Rose...whoever.

Er, ah, that's your basic bluegrass harmony.  Not Stanley mountain music,
bluegrass.  Via Chris  Hillman, Herb Pedersen, Doug Dillard, Bernie Leadon,
Jim Dickson (producer), et.al.  Check out the newly-reissued Scottsville
Squirrel Barkers, the Hillsmen reissue (Sugar Hill), the Dillards comp
(There Was A Time, Vanguard), etc.  Where's that dang Budrocket when you
need him, anyhow?  He's got a pretty good grasp of the details.

Neil Rosenberg has a couple of pages on the SoCal bluegrass scene and its
influence on/connection to SoCal country-rock in _Bluegrass: A History_, but
I'm too tired to drag it out now.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/