> Wait, stop, halt, desist, come baaaaack. Are you guys *serious*?
> I thought
> the first few posts were jokes. Is Garth Brooks *really* joining the Pod
> People? Come on, surely they don't take celebrities seriously enough to
> actually field them in a game that counts!! Let him sing the
> National Anthem,
> sure. Throw out the opening day pitch, maybe. But play pro ball?
> Surely you jest!

He's attending spring training as a non-roster invitee.  He spent some time
there last year, and made one game appearance (pinch-running), so this isn't
terribly new.  The Padres are donating $200,000 to a new kids charity
Brooks, Tony Gwynn, Wally Joyner and Greg Vaughn set up (headed by the
former Padre VP for marketing) as part of the whole thing.  AP quotes the
Padres' manager as saying ""There's no chance of him being on the major
league club, but we're excited to have him because I think he's going to
bring a lot of enthusiasm and hard work into camp, because that's how he
goes about his business," which is true enough <g>.

Jon Weisberger  Kenton County, KY [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger/