>Does Broken Spoke do wristband admission during SXSW, or are they
>independent of the whole thing?  I have hazy and contradictory
>memories on this one <g>....
>
>--junior

Although your memories are probably hazy from the drink, the Spoke's SXSW
role is usually confusing.  For many years they remained independent and
booked their regulars during the big week.  Then they relented and gave up
Thursdays.  Then, when the conference began programming music on Wednesdays
the Spoke gave 'em that night too.  But until last year Friday and Saturday
were not SXSW nights.  (Chris Wall traditionally played Friday)  Last year
Friday was given over and just yesterday Mr. White of the Spoke called me
to say that Jimmie Dale Gilmore had cancelled his Saturday show (rumor had
it that Dave Alvin was going to join him).  So he gave the night to SXSW.

This is the history of SXSW encroachment upon the last of the true Texas
dance halls.

This time of year is a real drag, what with everybody in town up in arms
over wrist band price, music awards, showcase slots and bitching and
moaning about how the conference has hopelessly lost touch with everything.
I would boycott except that there's so much free food and beer.  And all
the women I meet leave after three days.