Stacey is very busy moving and has asked me to post this to y'all.
Hope it's of interest.     pete
--------------------------------------

The World's First P2 Demographic Self-Survey: Who ARE We?

                                        mail\p2 survey98-1.tab

 Stacey set-up the user friendly survey form on the Hellcountry URL
in November and invited all P2ers to fill it out. She also got the
returns into computer-ready form.  Pete Peterson offered to help
analyze and present the results, and Bruce Beal has done most of the
number crunching.  Here's what we have found.

 According to Don Yates there were 715-725 people on the list in
December.  Stacey got 173 usable responses - not bad for this free
spirited bunch.  Some of us read all the mail surely, but most use
one or another devise to speed through skimming for what's of
interest, and some are deep water lurkers that just won't rise for
any bait.

        Anyway, here's who we (173) are.
 26% female, 73% male, 1% uncommitted.

the youngest is 19 and the oldest 65
the average age is 35, 32 for women, 37 for men.
the age distribution is as follows:
 12% -> 25
 13% 26-30
 29% 31-35
 19% 36-40
 14% 41-45
  7% 46-50
  5% 51 ->
  1% ageless

marital status
 42% single
 11% living in long-term relationships
 40% married
  6% separated, divorced
  1% can't tell

 32% have one or more kids living at home.  the average number of
kids for those with kids is slightly under two and no one has more
than three.

As for ethnicity,
 76% white
  0% African American
 10% other
 14% none

 The regional dispersion is dramatic.  CA and TX have 14 respondents,
IL 12, TN 10, MA 9, MO, NY, VA, and WA 8, OR 7, GA and PA 6, etc. on
down.  4 are in Canada or the United Kingdom, and only 2 of the
remaining non-US respondents are from non English-speaking countries.

 Of those responding to the question, 47% wear glasses, and there is
no association between glasses and gender.  Just 15% are single white
guys with glasses.
Pets:
 29% admit to no pets
 19% have dogs
 33% have cats
 12% have cats and dogs
there are fish and bird fanciers, etc.
 but far and away the next most frequent sort of pet after dogs and
cats is reptiles at 5%.  Contrary to the stereotype, there is no
association between gender and the type of pet.

Occupation is all over the place and we haven't coded it.
 18% confess to being "industry weasels"

 Now here's a thread-starter for you, of the 143 who stated their
astrological sign, one would expect each month to have 12 respondents
if an equal number of kids are born each month.  Not so in our group.
There are 23 Gemini, 20 Libra, 16 Sagittarius, and 14 Taurus.  Among
the clearly under represented are Virgo and Cancer with 9, Pisces 7,
Aquarius 6 and Aries 5.  Is this strange?  What is it about Geminis?
Should we recruit Aries people.  Perhaps they're the ones that
contributed the unusable responses.

So much for the demographics, now for the four big attitude items:

Which band/artist does the respondent LOVE that others love to hate?
 16% said none or left this blank
  5% said Springstein or Buckner
  4% said Son Volt or Feakwater
  2% said Eagles, Whiskytown, Ray Condo, SCOTS, or Marah
 11 bands/artists got 2 votes
        (ranging from Black Sabbath to Vince Gill)
 76 bands/artists got 1 vote
        Again, ALL over: Buck Owens, Prince, Paul Revere & the
        Raiders, Lucinda Williams, Kinky Friedman, Trisha Yearwood,
        Poco)

 What band/artist makes you gag/yawn that P2'ers talk about
constantly?  This question got a more focused response.
 16% again said none or left this blank
  7% said Son Volt
  6% said Lucinda Williams
  5% said the Gourds or Buckner
  4% said Whiskeytown, Vince Gill, Wilco, or Freakwater
  3% said Uncle Tupelo or Garth Brooks
  2% said Dale Watson, Gillian Welch, Cheri Knight, the Derailers,
        Bottle Rockets, or Robbie Fulks 8 bands/artists/genres got
        two votes including Nashville Country and Billy Bragg to
        Bluegrass and Steve Earl
 30 bands/artists/ genres received one vote.

 The overlaps between these two lists suggests the best way to
provoke a debate is to mention Buckner or Freakwater.

Finally, what's fluf?  Or WHAT ISN'T!!!
What is your favorite fluffy thread?
 41% said "none!"
  4% said "all"
 21% said food
  9% named specific P2ers
  4% said Twangfest
  4% said sports
  4% mentioned specific music groups
  2% said music related gear
  2% said alcohol
  6% gave other specific responses

 The corresponding responses to the question: What fluffy tread do
you hate the most? were:
  5% said "none"
  6% said "all"
  6% said food
  8% named specific P2ers
  5% said Twangfest
 12% said sports
  5% mentioned specific music groups
  2% said music related gear
  3% said alcohol
  8% said politics - a topic not mentioned among the fluf loves
 41% gave other specific responses.  As with bands, our fluf loves      are clearly
more diverse, our hates more focused.

Thanks for participating in this (first annual) survey.

Stacey .........  hellcountry
Pete Peterson ..  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bruce Beal .....  [EMAIL PROTECTED]