Not Exactly Nashville
WCNI  91.1 FM
New London, CT    US
Saturday 12 noon-3PM   webcasting on RealAudio at
elm.conncoll.edu:81/audio/live.ram
Country & Roots playlist 2/27/99
Mike Trynosky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Today's show featured the first spins anywhere of New England rockabilly
legend Jack Smith's 1st record in a decade! CAN'T HELP MYSELF, featuring
Jack's longtime musical cohorts, The Rockabilly Planet, is available from
Run Wild Records (PO Box 123, Lebanon, NJ. 08833). Produced by Bill
Kirchen, the record also features his considerable guitar talents as well.
Jack and his wife Mary, co-produced, a chore they also handled on Sonny
Burgess' TENNESSEE BORDER in '92, which was produced by Dave Alvin.  And
speaking of Dave....I also received a call today from  Chris Gaffney, who's
on the East Coast playing with Dave Alvin & The Guilty Men. He mentioned
that he'd soon be independently reissuing COLD HARD FACTS, released on ROM
in '90. Additional tracks will include THE ROAD TO INDIO in its entirety,
his indie EP from '86, as well as several other bonus tracks. Featured a
bit of Chris' solo music as well as several of his many guest shots with
the likes of Billy Bacon & The Forbidden Pigs, Kathy Robertson, and Dave
Alvin.

Axe To Grind  /  Hellecasters  /  Escape From Hollyfwood  /  Rio
King Of Show  /  Jack Smith & The Rockabilly Planet  /  Can't Help Myself
/  Run Wild
This Is It  /  Slow Gin Joes  /  Blastered: A Musical Tribute To The
Blasters  /  Run Wild
I'll Get Love  /  Sonny LaMay  /  Rural Rockin' Hicks  /  Collectors
Back Up Buddy  /  Carl Smith  /  Essential....   /  Columbia-Legacy
Face To The Wall  /  Faron Young  /  Live Fast, Love Hard: Capitol
Recordings 1952-62  /  CMF
Hello Trouble  /  Two Dollar Pistols  /  Step Right Up  /  Yep Roc

One Way Gal  /  Dave Alvin  /  Interchords - Romeo's Escape (promo)  /  Epic
A Bridge Too Far  /  Chris Gaffney  /  LA County Line  /  Strawdog
King Of The Blues  /  Dick Curless  /  Traveling Through (written by Chris
Gaffney)  /  Rounder
Nogales  /  Billy Bacon & The Forbidden Pigs  (Chris Gaffney: accordion) /
Dressed To Swill  /  Triple X
Silent Partner  /  Chris Gaffney  /  Mi Vida Loca  /  HighTone
We Must Have Been Out Of Our Minds  /  Kathy Robertson & Chris Gaffney
(vcls & piano)  /  To Roy Nichols With Love / Cowgirl

Blue Love (In My Heart)  /  Hank Williams  /  Complete..  /  Mercury
Never No' Mo' Blues  /  Tommy Duncan  /  Texas Moon  /  Bear Family
I'm Sittiin' On Top Of The World  /  Curtis Gordon  /  Play The Music
Louder  /  Bear Family
Drifting Texas Sand  /  Paul Burch & The WPA Ballclub  /  Wire To Wire  /
Checkered Past
No More Tears  /  Jack Smith & The Rockabilly Planet  /  Can't Help Myself
/  Run Wild
Speedy Recovery  /  Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant  /  For The Last Time  /  SOR

Phone interview with Chris Gaffney:

Glass House  /  Chris Gaffney  /  Cold Hard Facts  /  ROM
Laurel Lynn  /  Dave Alvin (Chris Gaffney: accordion)  /  Blackjact David
/  HighTone
I'll Never Be Free  /  Kathy Robertson & Chris Gaffney  /  At The Cantina
/  Cowgirl

Somethin' In The Kitchen  /  Asleep At The Wheel w/ Roomful of Blues horn
section  /  Pasture Prime  /  Stoney Plain
Takin' Out The Trash  /  Cowboys & Indians  /  A Big Night In Cowtown  /
Crystal Clear
Long Way Home  /  Cisco  /  Wishing You Well From The Pink Motel  /
Propellant Transmissions
I'm Shakin  /  Goin' Goin' Gone  /  Big DC Jamboree Vol 3  /  Run Wild
Neon Highway  /  Jack Smith & The Rockabilly Planet  /  Can't Help Myself
/  Run Wild
Big Train  /  Go Cat Go  /  Let's Hear It Again For....  /  Vinylux

Phone interview witth Jack Smith who's in New London tonight at the Bank
Street Cafe.

Hardtown (written by Jack & Dave Alvin) /  Jack Smith & The Rockabilly
Planet  /  Can't Help Myself  /  Run Wild
Hot N' Bothered  /  Calvin Davidson  /  Town South Of Bakersfield Vol. 3  /
 Restless
That's The Day  /  Dale Watson (feat. Jimmy Day)  /  Cheatin' Heart Attack
/  HighTone
I Was The One  / Ted Roddy  /  Full Circle  /  HighTone
I'l Try  /  Lefty Frizzell  /  Look What Thoughts Will Do  /  Columbia-Legacy
Sweet Jenny Lee  /  Hot Club Of Cowtown  /  Swingin' Stampede  /  HighTone
She's Out Of My Hair (But Not Out Of My Mind)  /  Charlie Burton & The
Texas Twelve Steppers  /  Rustic Fixer-Upper  /  Lazy SOB
Yodel Polka  /  Don Walser  /  Archive Series Vol. 2  /  Watermelon

Jimmie's Blues  /  Jimmie Rivers & The Cherokees  /  Brisbane Bop  /  Joaquin
La Marcha De Los Mexico  /  Merle Travis  /  Guitar-Standards  /  CMH
Please Don't Let Me Love You  /  Hank Williams  /  Complete..  /  Mercury
Blue Candian Rockies  /  Tex Ritter  /  Bump Tiddil Dee Bum Bum  /  Capitol
Anything Can Happen  /  Charline Arthur  /  Welcome To The Club  /  Bear
Family
The Reason We're Together  /  Kay Adams  /  Wheels & Tears  /  Tower
I Wasn't Foolin' Around  /  Jim Lauderdale  /  Planet Of Love  /  Reprise
Don't You Ever Get Tired Of Hurting Me  /  Johnny Bush  /  You Gave Me A
Mountain
I'm To Blame  /  James Intveld  /  self titled  /  Innerworks

Baby I'm Ready  /  Hal Peters & His Trio  /  Fireball Mail
Can't Help Myself  /  Jack Smith & The Rockabilly Planet  /  I Can't Help
Myself