Thought I'd add a few points to this discussion. I'd agree that there
isn't much difference between the two societies, as far as I can tell.
They do use different sampling methods to determine who gets paid what.
And this can make a difference in some cases. At one time, I think BMI did
a better job surveying smaller radio stations and college stations. As
such, if you were in a band that got a lot of college radio play, but not
much play on big stations, you might have been better served joining BMI.
Subesquently, as someone else mentioned, ASCAP has responded to criticisms
that it was weak in this area and has moved to do a better job, so at
this point I'm not sure how much of a difference there is.

Beyond this, I find BMI's web site and online data base to better than
ASCAP's. BMI lists every composition registered by a member. ASCAP only
lists those compositions that have come up in a survey or census. On the
other hand, ASCAP has some title registration software, which simplifies
and speeds the process of clearing titles (you can send the info in on a
disk). BMI makes you fill out a hard copy form for each song (although I
seem to remember that they may add a web based option somewhere in the
future). This can be a drag, especially if you end up joining late in the
curve and have to register a 40-50 song back catologue (trust me I had to
do this for a band once). The hard copy forms at BMI also mean that all
the info has to be rekeyed into the computer system at BMI. You know what
that means?  Plenty of mistakes and misattributions. Not that ASCAP is
perfect in this regard either.

So whichever society you join, stay on top of them. Make sure that your
titles have been correctly registered and make sure to register new titles
in a timely fashion. If the titles haven't been registered and you
get radio plays or whatever, you may be missing out on getting paid.

If you are a singer/songwriter type or the only writer in your band, there
is one other tangible difference between the societies that is worth
considering: BMI allows you to join as a writer and then have the
publisher's share of performance monies sent directly to you, if you have
no outside publisher or administrator. This is cool, especially if your
thing is fairly small, because it means that you don't have to go to the
trouble of setting up a separate publishing company (at least initially).
This can save you some scratch.

Let me explain this a bit further. Generally, the societies split every
dollar they collect in half. They then send .50 directly to the writer.
This is sort of built in protection for the writer. No outside publisher
gets to touch this cash. Where the other .50 goes depends on whether the
writer has an outside publishing or administration deal. If you are a
small DIY kind of person, the odds are that you don't have one of these
outside deals, so that .50 should go to you to, because you haven't
assigned it away to anyone else. With ASCAP, to get that .50 you have to
set up a separate publisher affiliate, even if you basically are the
publisher. This can cost you money,time, and hassles. But if you don't do
it, you don't get the money. With BMI there are instances where you
don't have to do this and can elect to have the publisher's share sent
directly to the writer, which can be nice for smalltime operators.

A couple of other points: I heard from a BMI rep a couple of months
ago, that BMI is hoping to move towards a computerized census system
for radion play, if it can get the industry on board. This would lead
to far more accurate tracking of radio plays and might mean more money
for niche artists. We'll have to see how that shapes up. And one final
thing, like everything else in life, don't forget about the people
involved. If you build a relationship with an ASCAP or BMI rep, this may
be worth more by itself than all the other stuff I mentioned above. Not
everyone gets this opportunity, but if it presents itself, seek it out.
The societies generally have local reps in larger markets. They can and do
help people's careers.

Anyway, that's about all for now. Below is a little piece I wrote a while
back to put on a web site I'm still trying to get together. It's a little
overview of what ASCAP and BMI do. I thought some folks might find it
useful, as there seemed to be at least a little confusion about the
subject of performance rights (it's definitely an easy one to be confused
about). One other note, this guy is a little old now. It doesn't really
address the changes to the copyright act (digital millenium and the
exemption of some smaller businesses from performance license
requirements)

Take it easy,

Jake

Jacob A. London