I didn't take notes on songs performed or anything like that but I'll give a shot at a mini-review.
It was a typical Friday night in Richmond's "bottom" with the usual assortment of hip-hoppers, UHI's, librarian's and bikers, all looking for the hipets place to be seen ( or a place to get a cheap beer).
Former Richmonder Mike Hays and his band made a return tot he old stompin grounds for the first time in 10 years and it was like magic, from the first notes of Tiger by the Tail a packed Moondance Saloon was wild. An assortment of old friends and family members half filled the house and their enthusiasm was contagious, getting the rest of the crowd fired up early. 12 classic country and original songs later, it was time for the new King of the Truckin' Songs, Dale Watson, but wait, The crowd's screaming for more (OK, so Dale's road manager asked them to do a few extra songs so Dale and band could finish eating). Not one to disappoint a frenzied mob, Mike and the boys launched in to Good Hearted Woman, He Stopped Loving Her Today and Big City.  By then the forks had stopped and it was time for the main attraction.
With all the smoothness of someone who's been doing it for 20 years, Dale calmly strummed a chord and launched into Sweet Jessie Brown, I'll Fly Away and a string of crowd launched requests. As if Dale's songs weren't enough  to keep a crowd entertained, he then launched into his new Living Legends portion of the show where he only plays requests of living legends.  He must've gone through a dozen or more, ending with a stone cold rendition of Paycheck doing Apartment #9 and then talking about having musical legends in addition to songwriting and singing legends, at which time he played "Luther".
It was break time, and I think everyone was ready.  Dale went to his van only to find it had been towed so like a bat out of hell Dale took off to retrieve it, causing a slightly longer than expected break but returning to the stage as soon as he walked back in the door and launching into Good Luck N Good Truckin before half the crowd even knew he was back.  He then proceeded to whip the place into a frothing, screaming, can't get enough, blow the roof off the joint with hot licks and great songs one after another.
Dale's in Annapolis, MD tonight and Arlington, VA tomorrow night so get out and support this incredible performer ad buy one of his brand new, white on black t-shirts with the great looking design as well as any CD's you maybe missing from the collection.
Dale truly is one who is going to "Fill Their Shoes"
Mike Hays
http://www.TwangCast.com  TM  RealCountry  24 X 7
Please Visit Then let us know what you think!

Mike Hays www.MikeHays.RealCountry.net
For the best country artist web hosting, www.RealCountry.net