On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 13:18:52 PDT Greg Harness said:
>Jon Weisberger wrote:
>
>> Well, I'd say that a show billed as an alt.country showcase is one that's
>at
>> least to some degree marketing the acts who appear on it as
>representative
>> of the genre, and I'd say it's reasonable for people, especially those
>> unfamiliar to the genre, to think that a show billed as a bluegrass
>festival
>> is going to feature acts representative of bluegrass.
>
>Jon, would you say then that if a 'bad' bluegrass band gets booked at a
>festival, the potential bad impression that could be loosed upon an
>unexpecting audience is the fault of the promoter?  Or does the onus fall
>upon the band itself?
>
>Seems to me this is where Anon's arguments fail.  I think Anon's beef is
>much more with the organizers, promoters, and marketers of SXSW, but all the
>ire falls on the bands.  I believe that ire is misplaced.

    And the ire especially seems directed at scenesters who dig the crappy
stuff and don't dig/ignore/schooze during the "authentic" stuff like Hayseed..
Which is often the lament of a lot of people who can't understand why the
American public continues to buy millions of albums from whatever
million-selling performer they think sucks (i.e. Garth, Mariah, Celine).
    The main question I have is where are all these scenesters with straw
hats and pigtail hairdos.  Maybe I went to the wrong shows at SXSW 1998,
but I don't think I saw a single person who fit that definition.  I mostly
saw the Slacker nation wardrobe of t-shirts and jeans, and maybe a couple
of slightly better dressed industry sharpies.  Nor have I seen it when I go to
a NYC alt-country show.  Is this aspiring sociologist blind to his
social surroundings - or just too drunk to notice/care (g).
                                      Evan (still a little sleepy)

btw, Kelly Willis was fantastic last night at the Iron Horse in Nhampton,
Mass last night, as per usual.  P2 Brothers Jeff and Kevin can testify
further if need be.