On 04 Jun 2013, at 10:27 , Robert L Mathews <li...@tigertech.com> wrote:

> "In general, the thing I've learned about monitoring is that when possible,
> check the system by using it, rather [than] looking for changes in side
> effects (such as logs, or number of processes running, etc.). That's not to
> say that the other things can't give useful information, too, but if you can
> check the system by using it, you don't have to worry so much about whether
> you've added a regexp for every possible log entry and so forth."

Great advice. I will simply add that what I use as my first-line monitor is the
free MX monitoring that mxtoolbox.com offers, as well as an uptime monitor from
uptimerobot.com

I'm not affiliated with either service other than using them to monitor my
connectivity.

The only down side to uptime robot is that it checks every five minutes, and
that may not be fast enough for some people. For me, checking the SMTP server
and the WWW servers every 5 minutes works out pretty well. YMMV.

--
My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can
feel it. I can feel it. I'm... afraid.