Cameron wrote:
>What is the exact model number of the 3Com card?

Not sure at present; it's at home and I'm not. It's the one here:

<http://www.computer-show.com/Modern/itemdesc.asp?CartId=1239067WTFWE25&;
ic=NET008&tpc=>

I think it's a C, not a D.

>Sounds like a dead or improper dongle. When I first got my 3C589C for
>my 1400, I was mistakenly given a 10/100 dongle (with LEDs) that
>unfortunately fits the 10MBit cards (with which it doesn't work). This
>doesn't hurt anything but it's not very useful either :-)

If I bought the same "special" you did, that explains it!? But how did
you figure out the problem?

>You'll need to find a true 10MBit dongle, which I've seen for sale for
>around $5-$10 if you look sharp.

I guess my "special" is rapidly doubling in cost! Please take a moment
to give me your opinion as to whether any of these might work. I
realize that I need to confirm the exact model # first.

Here's two maybe, tell me what you think:

The first one says:

"3Com 3C589C/D/ET PCMCIA Spare Cable (Dongle) network 10baseT"

Sure sounds like this could work for both the C and D cards?

<http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:30742#Tof>

This gives a 3Com part # of 3C-PC-TPS-CBL, a 10BT-only dongle that
matches with the 3CCE589EC card according to this:

<http://www.3com.com/other/downloads/products/en_US/cabling_products.doc>

Another:

<http://www.peaksource.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=647998%7C659206&PRID=520022>

This last one sounds like what I have as well, but the picture (if
accurate) looks "wrong" and the part number I "don't recognize".

-David