I may have missed it, but I don't think I saw a reference to the
series of studies by Beckwith and Burnett on self-efficacy as a
significant factor leading to gender differences in early
programming experiences.

If your experimental population includes a mix of males and
females, you may find that this is a significant effect. I would
strongly recommend recruiting balanced numbers of males and
females, and carrying out analyses that consider interaction of
self-efficacy and gender.

A typical study in this area, which shows *opposite* effects of
an experimental intervention for males and females, is this one:
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1124772.1124808

(Perhaps needless to say to you, but for the benefit of other
readers - if you carry out an experiment in which the
manipulation has opposite effects for two halves of the sample,
and don't take this into account during analysis, the overall
result will be highly inconclusive, resulting in large variance
and small mean difference).

Alan

--
Alan Blackwell
Reader in Interdisciplinary Design, University of Cambridge