Posted by: Admin on Saturday, February 07, 2004 - 11:09 PM GMT

It's all over the blogs, but underreported in the mainstream media. The Washington Post has a nice Feb. 5, 2004 article on it, albeit on page 11 (the Post chose to run two front page articles that day on the Democratic primary, as opposed to the more typical one story):
New York City, site of the country's most horrific terrorist attack, Wednesday became the latest in a long list of cities and towns that have formally opposed the expanded investigatory powers granted to law enforcement agencies under the USA Patriot Act.
The New York City Council approved a resolution condemning the law, enacted by Congress six weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, with a voice vote in its chambers a few blocks from the gaping hole at Ground Zero.

"The Patriot Act is really unpatriotic, it undermines our civil rights and civil liberties,"
said council member Bill Perkins (D-Manhattan), the bill's sponsor. "We never give up our rights
that's what makes us Americans."

The resolution criticized the Patriot Act for allowing infringements on privacy
rights. Among other provisions, the Patriot Act allows investigators to see citizens'
library records and eases requirements for search warrants. The council requested that
Congress deliver periodic reports accounting for the information and records on New
Yorkers the federal government has culled under the Patriot Act, but the measure has
no means to enforce that request.

Queries on news.google.com yield no results for CNN. Two queries for the New York
Times yield no relevant results, and I was unable to find an article by searching on
the nytimes.com website itself. Did this amazing story really go unreported in the
city's own New York Times?
See the previous UnderReported.com stories:

RomanK

Odpowiedź listem elektroniczym