On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Malcolm Greene <pro...@bdurham.com> wrote:

> Update: Slowed down and followed the advice to test out a makeshift
> standing desk. Early results: Higher energy levels balanced by lots of
> back pain.

It will take two weeks for you to start to adapt to a new working
position: muscles need to tone up, adjustments to be made, just as you
shouldn't go out the first day and try to run a 5K if you're not a
daily runner. Best to start with small exposures to a new position and
work into it. It also doesn't hurt to look into good footwear ("I'm
gellin'") or orthotics -- made a huge difference for me. Also, the
springiness of the floor surface makes a huge difference, which is why
there are anti-fatigue mats for standing workstations. If you've got
cushioned carpet you might be all set, but if you're standing on
concrete, you need support.

>  My sweet spot seems to be a standing desk and a high bar
> stool ... a cycle back to my misspent youth?!

I cycle between a couple of work positions: nice desk chair, standing,
and kneeling chair, and I think the variety of positions is as
important as the ergonomics of each. Moving around helps. A little dog
that wants to go out a half-dozen times a day keeps me moving around,
too.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC