I need to import a DBF table into SQL Server
However, all the fields in the DBF table begin with the suffix ST (a
previous programmer built the table in 1992, with the notion that all
fields should have a specific suffix related to the table's purpose)

But I just want the sql server table to have all its fields without that
suffix, ie: STACCT should become ACCT, STNAME should become NAME and so on,

The DBF table has 60 fields.

I would like to issue an ALTER TABLE statement directly in the SQL Server
Management Studio to remove the ST suffix from all its fields.

But I have no idea on how to build a stored procedure with something
similar to a DO WHILE loop in SQL Server, such that it would read a field
name, remove the ST suffix and alter the name as desired. And then pass to
the next field and do the same

In fact, I must do the same with all the DBF tables from the old DOS
system, because I am converting it to a VFP9 app with a SQL Server back end.

Please show me a code snippet that would do that

Thank you in advance

Rafael Copquin

multipart/alternative
  text/html