Hi,

I am currently working on a joint project between Tetra Pak Carton Ambient SpA
and the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (Italy), aimed to experiment
with high-level, heterogeneous modelling in the field of automatic machines.

We were considering Ptolemy II as a possible simulation tool; however, for what
concerns the physical part of the system, we would like to be able to write the
model in a non-causal fashion (such as bond graphs) rather than using the
block-diagram syntax that Ptolemy offers. As a result, we were wondering
whether it could be possible to modify the program (more accurately, the CT
domain) in order to allow the Director/Manager to:
- Enforce a consistent connection between couples of connectors classified as a
single Bond;
- Perform an automatic causality assignment and change the internal structure
of each Actor belonging to this new domain such that its input/output ports are
connected according to the causality chosen.

While the translation between block diagrams/causal bond graphs is always
possible and causality assignment algorithms are more or less guaranteed to
work under general conditions, I would greatly appreciate (and it could save me
some time) the opinion of someone knowledgeable about the inner workings of
Ptolemy. In particular, I am interested in assessments about the feasibility of
such modifications and the amount of work necessary (the idea is to obtain a
customization or an extension of the program, not to rewrite it from scratch:
software development is not the primary objective of the project).

Thanks in advance for your help,
Luca Bassi