Hi Michael

> - I was NOT planning on including an instance of Overflow or
>    Rounding with each instance of FixType. While there are
>    reasons for this, I feel that these modes should be
>    specified within actors rather than a type on a port.
>
> Any other thoughts on this?

I've long felt that types define how actual values are represented and
operators/actors define the computation between ideal values.

I therefore feel that when I define a 'modulo 2-pi' data type
that all arithmetic should respect this type specification. I
do not want to create a new set of actors for what is fully defined
by the type mapping from results computed in the unconstrained number
space/line without regard to the output type, and the constrained number
space/line enforced by the 'modulo 2-pi' output type.

Similarly I do not want to have to replicate actors just to change
rounding mode.

The extreme polymorphism of its actors is one of Ptolemy II's major
benefits (and problems), it seems a shame not to preserve and exploit
the design space positioning.

        Regards

                Ed Willink

the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may not be divulged to
any third party without the express permission of the originator.  Any views
expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the
sender specifically states them to be the views of Thales Research & Technology
(UK) Limited.