On 11/27/13 2:44 PM, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:
"If the rel attribute is used, the element is restricted to the head
element."

This is part of a non-normative content (a note), so I think we're off
the hook here :)

No. The normative bit is sort of scattered around the spec, but for example:

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/sections.html#the-body-element says its content model (this part is normative!) is http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/elements.html#flow-content which is a whitelist of things that are allowed in <body> and contains:

  link (if the itemprop attribute is present)

So <link> without @itemprop is not allowed as flow content.

The other normative bit is:

  A link element must have either a rel attribute or an itemprop
  attribute, but not both.

which means that if you have a rel you are required to not have itemprop, and then you're not flow content per the above normative definition of flow content.

In general, Hixie tries hard to not have informative text that's not actually supported by normative bits...

That said, this is all only relevant for validation purposes.

> Nothing precludes the author from using custom elements in HEAD

Unless you want your document to validate, per http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/elements.html#metadata-content

-Boris