Hello

David Schmitt wrote :
> For maximum performance you want to avoid any file-server operations
 > (file.source with puppet://, filebucket to server}, set the

I agree with you, mainly, fileserver is slow.
But few tests I made using 'file://' instead of 'puppet://' didn't speed
up my puppet runs... I was quite surprised...

> set the
> catalog_format to marshal on the client,

Good.
Indeed, 'Config retrieval' performance is better with this, but the
catalog cache is stored in a binary format in
/var/lib/puppet/localconfig.yaml
(still named .yaml even if it is not in yaml anymore)
But, my main concern is that we used the cache catalog to debug our
puppet configuration. It is really useful when Puppet doesn't setup
thing as you expect, it helps understand which resources were setup and
send to your client.
With marshal format, the file is near from unreadable.

Is there a way to workaround this?

 > don't use reports, don't use
> storeconfigs and use the most recent available version of puppet (0.24.8
> or even the 0.25 beta).

That's a pity. I really would like to use this, but performance matters...

Hope REST in pupet 0.25 will help a lot in this area...

--
Aurelien Degremont