Probably a brainfart, but:
This scenario is typical and would suggest the requirement of database resource. And this would be just enough.

Hypothetical example:
On the db machine you will have a resource like:
database
{ "mydb":
   ensure => 34,
   versionscript => "puppet:///modules/myapp/db_getversion.sql",
   installscript => "puppet://...",
   updatescript => "puppet:///...."
   server => "db-serv.example.com",
   username => "....",

Now the ensure would be the required installed version of the db, or simply true. Version script should return the current version of the db when run. Install script creates the db, optional update updates the db from a version to another.

The cool thing about this is that it can be added on the web app node too as a check/dependency solver.

This or similar cases should be solvable with a similar solution.

What are your ideas about this?

Silviu

Jesús Couto wrote:
I'm finding this discussion interesting and... depressing, as I'm trying to model an enviroment where our #1 task is to deploy Java web apps on tomcat servers.

Is there any already existant documentation/resource discussing this? The 2 objections listed are interesting, even if my enviroment usually does not have the second, the first mean that I will have a difficult time deploying on one leg and then on the other leg using Puppet, right? As in, I'm not going to know if it is being deployed on both at the same time, causing an outage, unless I do some kind of hack (change the resource in one node, then in the other...)

I'm correct? Are those arguments explained in detail somewhere?