Hi all,

We'd like to share a class, and do something like:

class common_defaults {
[...]
     user { 'root':
           ensure          => present,
           password        => $root_password ? {
              'serviceA'    => 'passwdA',
              default   => 'passwdB',
     },
[...]
}

$root_passwd  only has value if someone has defined it. So, i.e:

nodes.pp
nodea {
        $root_passwd=serviceA
        include common_defaults
}

nodeb {
        include common_defaults
}

so, we'd like nodea to has passwdA and nodeb to have the default value
passwdB. I've tried with default and '' empty var, but I does not works
neither.

When I run the client in nodeb, and add a notify of root_password, I see
that nodeb's root_password has a value and it's serviceA!?!?

I'm quite lost here, I've been reading variable scope section in
puppet's doc, but it talks about class inheritance, not class
including. I don't understand why the var has a value, I've not found
any ref about value of not defined varibales.

Could anyone give a hand on this?

TIA,
Arnau