On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 10:31 +0100, Brice Figureau wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 13:56 -0800, Jason Wright wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Daniel Pittman <dan...@puppetlabs.com>
> > wrote:
> > > For what it is worth I have been looking at this quietly in the
> > > background, and come to the conclusion that to progress further I am
> > > going to have to either reproduce this myself (failed, so far), or get
> > > a bit of state instrumentation into that code to track down exactly
> > > what conditions are being hit to trigger the failure.
> >
> > I haven't been able to reproduce it either.  So far, I've tried
> > annexing a bunch of machines and running puppetd in a tight loop
> > against an otherwise idle puppetmaster VM and I can get the rate of
> > API calls and catalog compiles up to the correct level for one of our
> > busy VMs, but no 500s (or even 400s) so far.  If this fails, I have
> > some code which fetches pluginsync metadata and then proceeeds to make
> > fileserver calls for every .rb listed.  I'll start using that generate
> > traffic, since these are the sorts of operations which get the most
> > errors.
>
> There's no guarantee you exercise the exact same XLMRPC stuff than you
> are seeing in production (especially if it's the filebucket handler).
> There are great chances your test environment doesn't change, so the
> filebucket is almost never used.

>From the stacktrace, it is highly improbable it's the filebucket. It
really looks like the XMLRPC fileserving api.

But, I did a quick check and to my knowledge pluginsync, factsync and
file serving are using the REST api which doesn't call any of the XMLRPC
handlers.

Which make me think that either you still have 0.24.x clients or I
missed some 0.25 client feature that uses XMLRPC file serving.

--
Brice Figureau
Follow the latest Puppet Community evolutions on www.planetpuppet.org!