I am afraid I do not have the skills for long term maintenance, so providing a
quick
hack through the mailing list seemed better than keeping the issue unresolved.
What
I am missing here is a reference dataset to check whether a modification in the
source
code of the plugin affects its behaviour. On the convex dataset I was
considering the
result was not as nice as could have been expected from the illustration found
at
http://anitagraser.com/2010/11/13/creating-cartograms-with-qgis-cartogram-creator/
 whose
dataset I do not have access to. I am currently running the plugin on a world
population
dataset as found at http://thematicmapping.org/downloads/world_borders.php to
check on
a non-convex map whether the result matches expectations, but a reliable
testbed would
be better suited. As an example which hints at proper operation of the plugin,
the
2005 world population map becomes
http://jmfriedt.sequanux.org/world_cartogram.png with
purple the original dataset, green 10 iterations and greyish blue being 27
interations.

If such a result seems relevant, maybe some knowledgeable user can comment on
the figures
of http://jmfriedt.sequanux.org/lm_cart.pdf in which the Voronoi polygon map
generated from
discrete measurements (train travel time in France, Fig. 1) becomes the
cartograms of Fig. 4
which do not seem that informative to me. Is this an known artefact from convex
maps ?
(obviously a diffusion algorithm applied to a convex dataset ends up generating
a cicular
map I assume).

Happy new year, JM