On 03/03, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
> > What's needed for Windows is a simple, but configurable program that
> > runs on the user's machine and listens to localhost:25.
> Right. MUAs can use 127.0.0.1:25 (and 127.0.0.1:110) by default. An ISP
> can supply its favorite proxy program, including configuration, directly
> to the users. Some benefits:
>    * Users won't have to type in server addresses.
>    * ISPs won't have to explain how to configure different MUAs.
>    * MUAs won't have to deal with different ISP authentication systems.
> Today's proxies could provide authenticated mail submission for roaming
> users. Tomorrow's proxies could support backup servers, faster message
> injection, and maybe even strong encryption.

        Yeah, the only question is: WHO will write such proxy? ;-)

        BTW, correct me if I'm wrong, but I never saw any good SMTP
authentication schemes -- all of them send the password in clear :(
Also, it's quite possible that users will send their passwords to
wrong servers... this means passwords must be mangled with MD5 or
something like that...

--
 Roman V. Isaev         http://www.gunlab.com.ru         Moscow, Russia