Russell Nelson writes:

> the mail would all double-bounce.  However, the whole point behind
> this program is for a spammer to use the information provided by
> rcpt-to to *avoid* having to send mail to every word in their
> dictionary.  Since qmail doesn't provide any information, the first
> qmail site a spammer picks on will suck down all of their emailing
> capability, and they won't be successful in spamming, to the extent
> that spamming achieves any success.

I am not particularly concerned with how succesfull the spammer's spam run
is.  Frankly, I really don't care.  My own concerns and priorities take
precedence.

Therefore, I am asked a whether receiving about a thousand separate
messages, with an average of a hundred recipients each, most of them
invalid, generating a hundred thousand separates bounces that I must
mailbomb the forged sender with (and, if the forged domain's mail server is
properly configured, mailbomb myself instead), is a price I'm willing to
pay in order to make some trailer park trash's spam run less succesfull, by
some marginal amount.

The answer to me seems to be pretty clear --  it's not.  You are assuming
that the spammer will realize that something is wrong.

Nope.  Ninety nine times out of a hundred it won't.  They're stupid, dumb,
and they have only a vague idea how SMTP works.  They fire up the
harvest-o-matic, go to sleep, wake up in the morning, and piss all over
themselves seeing how many valid addresses the harvest-o-matic has
collected.  With dollar signs in their eyes over the prospect of making
riches from selling golf balls, or laundry detergents, to this
highly-targeted audience, they'll simply take the file with the addresses,
and plug it into the Super Stealth Cloak-O Blastomatic 2000 Express Mail
Disseminator.

--
Sam