- Mark E Drummond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

| My setup is an external gateway machine running qmail (our MX),
| forwarding mail for our domain to our internal mailhub running
| Netscape Messaging Server (NMS) which all our users access using
| IMAP.
|
| The problem is that mail to a non-existant or mispelled address
| within our domain gets sent to the internal hub, which checks it and
| does not find a valid RCPT, and so it sends the email back to the
| MX.

That's your problem, as far as I can understand it.  Your NMS needs to
be told that it, and it alone, is the final authority on what is a
valid email address within your domain, and so it should produce a
proper bounce message if it is not.

| Now the MX, instead of bouncing the email back to the sender, it
| returns it to the internal hub, which then sends it back again to
| the MX.

As well it should:  How can it tell the difference between this
message and any other message destined for your domain?  Bounce
creation needs to happen where the final delivery was supposed to
happen; anything else just gets too difficult.

| My question is, is this qmail's problem or NMS's problem?

You will never get anyone on this list to admit it's qmail's problem. 8-)

- harald