I just saw mention on bugtraq of spammers trying to exploit

    RCPT TO: <"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"@relay.host.name>

(where "relay.host.name" is the reverse dns name for the system
they're trying to relay through).

I wasn't sure how qmail would handle this, so I did a couple of quick
tests.  Russel, hope you don't mind my bouncing one of them off one of
your systems.

What happened was that the mail was *accepted*, and then bounced
(qmail seems to have ignored the quotes in the address).  This is
better than being an open relay by a lot, if not exactly perfect
(perfect means rejecting the relay attempt before accepting the mail,
of course).  Of course in a real spam situation, the bounce would
bounce and become the problem of the intended-relay sysadmin.  And
would it bounce once for every single name in the humongous list?
Dunno, didn't try that.  I've already given up and configured to drop
doublebounces silently, anyway.
--
David Dyer-Bennet                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.ddb.com/~ddb (photos, sf) Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon