Hi all,

(Searchable archive at www.qmail.org is down.)

I'm having a problem with using qmail to send email to addresses
external to our domain.  I've been running qmail for about a year
now and never noticed this before because we simply used it to
send mail locally within our ISP domain - which it did fine.  However,
I've just installed ezmlm and subscribed some external email address
to various lists.  I now notice that I get messages in SYSLOG such
as:

qmail: 932734110.641249 delivery 2: deferral:
Sorry,_I_wasn't_able_to_establish_an_SMTP_connection._(#4.4.1)/

for every external email address (within our domain  -
<name>@salford.ac.uk - everything is fine).

I've been told that I need to add a 'virtualdomains' file to
/var/qmail/control to list our SMTP server and to send all non-local
emails through that.  Something like (I've been told):

:catchall
post.salford.ac.uk:

and that I must also recompile qmail after altering something in one
of the qmail source files.  What this source file is and what I should
change I haven't a clue.

Any advice (will be much appreciated)?

Mark Grimshaw
Head of Music Technology & Studio Production
Salford University Music Department
http://www.salford.ac.uk/music
Degrees planned for September 2000:
        BSc(Hons) Computer & Video Games (contact [EMAIL PROTECTED])
        HNC/HND/PGCert/PGDip/MA/MPhil Music Industry Management (contact
[EMAIL PROTECTED])
WebAir Internet Radio - http://hexie.memtech.salford.ac.uk/music2/webair