I will ask Russ' question again.  What user is qmail-popup running as?  It
MUST be run as root and /bin/checkpassword should be chmod 700 with NO
suid or sgid bits set.  From the sounds of it you are NOT running
qmail-popup as root!

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Thomas M. Sasala wrote:

> Russell Nelson wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm....  That's now how checkpassword is designed to work.  It's not
> > a good idea to run random programs suid, because they weren't
> > necessarily designed to work that way.  You should be running
> > qmail-popup as root, and also have ``chmod 700 /bin/checkpassword''.
> >

>       Do you mean 'not' designed to work?  I understand why it is a
> bad idea to suid and I thought it was very odd that is had to be
> given the overriding concerns about security within qmail.
>
>       The only way I could get it to run as someone other
> than root was to set it as -rwsr-xr-x (owner=root, group=qmail).
> I changed it to -r-xr-sr-x and it still didn't work.
>
>       -Tom
>
> --
> +  Thomas M. Sasala, Electrical Engineer       [EMAIL PROTECTED]       +
> +  MRJ Technology Solutions                    http://www.mrj.com   +
> +  10461 White Granite Drive, Suite 102        (W)(703)277-1714     +
> +  Oakton, VA   22124                          (F)(703)277-1702     +

Timothy L. Mayo                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Systems Administrator
localconnect(sm)
http://www.localconnect.net/

The National Business Network Inc.      http://www.nb.net/