Thus spake Stuart Young ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> > > I disagree with the assertion that virus scanners are non-solutions.  On > > >
>the mail servers I run, I have installed some simple virus scanning
> > > software, and it has, up to now, filtered out lots of incoming virii and
> > > trojans, as well as a few outgoing virii (which alerted me as to who was
> > > infected, and allowed me to advise the IT folks so they could go clean it
> > > up).  Its not a perfect solution, but its far better than nothing, and
> > > results in our location not becoming a source for that kind of garbage.
> >Let me get this straight.
> >
> >Based on the fact that your virus scanner detected a few outgoing virii,
> >you assert not only that it has detected all of them.
> I don't see how you got "All" out of "filtered out lots of incoming virii
> and trojans", which clearly does not say it covers everything. Please stop
> generalizing.

Stuart, do you know the difference between "incoming" and "outgoing"?
Are you aware of the meaning of "to become"?  It implicates that you
aren't already.

> >In Europe, Elementary Schools have more professional IT departments than that.
> IT Departments are there to solve user problems, and to solve
> company/institution problems. A virus can quite happily be both. I have
> seen a number of 'network/computer issues' (outside of the office I am in)
> that have been related to virii causing unpredictable behavior. Ignoring
> the problem only allows it to fester, and will only make the final cleanup
> (which will most definitely be the IT Departments problem) much longer,
> problematic, and far more costly. How much does your company/institution
> price it's data, and it's down-time?

My company does not have downtimes because of viruses.
What do you mean with "computer issues"?  I don't think I have those in
my company.

People will only notice the system administrator when something is broken.
So, the job of the system administrator is to be invisible.

> And what operating system your network clients run is not always your
> decision to make.

Of course it is.
Otherwise you should leave the company to their doom.
Technical decisions have to be made by the technicians who have to work
with the stuff later.  If that is not the case in your company, it is
doomed to failure and misery and in the end it will be blamed on you
nonetheless.

> A virus scanner isn't the whole solution. But it's a part of a solution
> that is definitely worth investigating. It may not necessarily be part of
> your solution, but your solution isn't necessarily good for anyone else either.

Which part of the reasoning against virus scanners didn't you
understand?  You repeat exactly the same marketing lingo that the others
guys also used.  Is there some secret mind control conspiracy abound
that makes people repeat phrases like "virus scanners are [...] a
solution"?  I don't get it.  Is none of the Windows users open to
rational arguments?

Felix