Sorry, my mistake ;-)
smtproutes will function in case you don't have the domain locally created.
I had a similar situation and i solved it by creating a second domain
and alias/forwards. The users that use the second domain sent mail
using there primary address.
Maybe this fits you, but if you have a lot of accounts, it becomes horrible.

Natalio.