On Sunday, March 11, 2018 at 11:03:02 PM UTC+1, ale10...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello, I am currently locked out of my qubes system because of a "kernel
> panic" error I encounter when I boot the system, after the grub screen. I
> don't really know what to do.
> The only thing I did before this to happen is to try to install AEM (without
> success), it may be the reason for this.
> Is there any fix to this? I still have my qubes installation media, I can run
> the troubleshooting mode. I have qubes R4-rc4.
> I am also searching for the place to search for my appvms data so I can
> backup them and then re-install qubes (I use qubes for some months now), I
> can't find the appvm data anywhere... thanks for your answers !

I recommend you don't delete anything before you made sure it works. Maybe
backup the whole drive, or pull a copy of all data on it to another drive. Just
to be safe.

I also recommend you wait a bit for more answers, there may be ways to save
your system yet.

Your AppVM data should be saved here;
/var/lib/qubes/appvms/

Your Templates data should be saved here;
/var/lib/qubes/vm-templates

In general have a look at the base folder
/var/lib/qubes/

I never did a rescue this way, so I don't know if this is sufficient. But I
believe it is all you need, and then you can create new AppVM's with the same
name (important, must be same names), and then just drag and drop the AppVM
files in there.

But it's best you have the confirmation of someone who's done this before,
however, this should at least get you started. Your system may also be rescued
if someone knows how to fix it. By any chance, did you try use Grub to boot a
different older kernel? By default Qubes (and other modern *nix's) save up to 3
kernels at a time. So you should have 2 older kernels. Maybe they work better
with AEM?