On Sun, 2019-01-06 at 23:14 +0100, haaber wrote:
It's running fine for me from a flatpak --user install ... has the
advantage that the template only needs flatpak and all signal is in
the
appVM only.

Joh

On Fri, 2019-01-04 at 18:57 -0600, Sven Semmler wrote:
Hi,

I just installed signal-desktop (in the template) and now try to
run
it in the appVM. The app starts and I can see the window border,
but
nothing inside the window.

Haven't done much diagnosis yet. Just wondering if someone here
recently installed signal-desktop on a debian-9 based qube and
has
some hints for me.

I tested & get same problem as Sven. Could you please explain the
flatpak approach, Joh?  Besides the usage for signal-desktop this may
be
helpful in other cases as well!   Thank you, Bernhard

https://flatpak.org/.

You install flatpak in you template VM (using the usual tools). After
that you fire up a AppVM for Signal (for example) and on it's CLI run
'flatpak install --user flathub org.signal.Signal' & afterwards fire it
up in the same AppVM using 'flatpak run org.signal.Signal'.

Skype also is manageable this way as are others:
https://flathub.org/apps

Thank you. You lose that way all signatures right? For skype the is not worrisome (all traffic is monitored anyways), for signal (meant to be secure) this is more embarrassing. Any thoughts on this? The "--disable-gpu" parameter works perfectly for the debian-install and the signed package form the signal website. Bernhard