Is there a way to get reliable booting after a dom0 kernel
update?

I am afraid that there is no such way as the new Linux kernel adds new
features, changes the current ones, which are unlikely were thoroughly tested
(or if tested at all) for the whole range of HW out there or their combinations.

Whenever you are upgrading the SW, be it a Linux kernel or any other software,
you should always expect things can go wrong.
The good news is that you can always rollback and contribute to the FOSS by
reporting the issue.
Do I need to unmount my /boot partition and fsck.vfat it
before rebooting?
You should always unmount the mount point before fsck'ing any filesystem.

Kind regards,
Andrey Arapov