On 12-07-22 5:33 PM, arun wrote:
Hi Duncan,

That was my original suggestioin.  His reply suggests that it is not that he
wanted.

I didn't see your reply. Maybe you sent it privately? In any case, I think it is up to Sverre to give an example of what he wants, since your suggestion, Weidong's and mine all appear to do what he asked for.

Duncan Murdoch

"

Not quite. It still orders the values in an increasing order, you've
just changed the values here. I'm using reorder() to prepare for
plotting the values, so I can't change the values."

bymean2<-with(InsectSprays,reorder(spray,count,function(x) -mean(x)))
   bymean2
   [1] A A A A A A A A A A A A B B B B B B B B B B B B C C C C C C C C C C C C
D D
[39] D D D D D D D D D D E E E E E E E E E E E E F F F F F F F F F F F F
attr(,"scores")
           A          B          C          D          E          F
-14.500000 -15.333333  -2.083333  -4.916667  -3.500000 -16.666667
Levels: F B A D E C
A.K.