At 10:38 AM 7/23/2012, you wrote:
You might also find it useful to use Hadley Wickham's plyr
and/or reshape2 packages, whose aim is to standardize and simplify
data manipulation tasks.

Cheers,
Bert

I have already used R enough to have correctly imported the actual data. After import, it is in the approximate format at the x dataframe I previously posted. I already found the plyr and reshape2 packages and had assumed that the cast (or dcast) options might be the correct ones. Melt seemed to get me only what I already have. The examples I have seen thus far start with data in a various formats and end up in the format that I am starting with. In other words, they seem to do the exact opposite of what I'm trying to do. So I'm still stuck with how to get started and whether the functions in reshape2 are actually the correct ones to consider.

...still looking for some help on this.

Jeff