Hello,

I am trying to run some AMOVA analyses with the amova function in the package ade4.

When running the example dataset provided in ade4, I noticed a difference between the published results from the same data (Excoffier et al. 1992) and what ade4 calculates.

Below are the data for "within sample/population" from ade4 and from the haplotypic distance matrix in the paper:

source  name    Variance        % total variance        p-value phi
ade4    within samples  0.478   75.390  1.000   0.246
paper   within populations      0.478   75.390  0.000   0.246

In the R output, it seems that the Std.Obs for "within samples" in ade4 is very high and may be the reason why the difference is not significant. Std.Obs is not given in the publication.

Is the high p-value an error in ade4 or am I missing something?

Thanks already for your help!

Kim
Kim Milferstedt, PhD
Postdoctoral Researcher