Thank you for your time to help. I don't think I was completely clear, I
want to keep the axis ticks and labels (which I now see is what R calls
the values like "Jan, Feb, Mar") but want to suppress the label titles.

So a generic plot(thisZoo) would produce a plot whose X axis is the dates,
tick marks, and the word "Index" below. I just want to eliminate the work
"Index". I can set the axis title to "" but I am still using up the white
space.

I will dig further into the documentation, but it does not seem this is
possible.

Thanks again

"Gabor Grothendieck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
07/01/2008 11:42 PM

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc
r-help@r-project.org
Subject
Re: [R] plot.zoo labels

xy.labels is used to control text by the individual points when
plotting scatterplots of one zoo series vs. another -- not the axis
labels. e.g.

library(zoo)
set.seed(1)
z <- zoo(rnorm(10))
plot(z, z, xy.label = letters[1:10])

Assuming a single panel plot this will suppress the x axis label
but still plot the tick marks:

plot(z, xaxt = "n")
axis(1, lab = FALSE) # adds ticks

Also on the ?axis page see padj= and on the ?par page see cex.axis, mar
and tcl.

For multipanel plots panel functions are used.
See examples in ?plot.zoo and Question 8 of vignette("zoo-faq")
These examples cover both single and multipanel plots and illustrate some
of these parameters.

Alternately note that xyplot.zoo is based on lattice.  See the lattice
documentation for that approach.