I agree that an editor or a development environment like RStudio is the best answer, but perhaps savehistory() function is what you are looking for.

On 5/10/2019 8:32 AM, Doran, Harold wrote:
David

Most of us use an editor of some kind to write our code. I use Notepad++ but
there are many options. In this way, you simply write your code in a text file
and save it.

Some editors allow for you to execute your code from the script.

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-boun...@r-project.org> On Behalf Of David Winters
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2019 10:54 PM
To: r-help@r-project.org
Subject: [R] saving an R script

Greetings,

This is a super embarrassing question. But, how do you save an R script with code? that
is, not doing it the cheat way? where you just hit the "save" button? what
function would it be?

I know how to save the environment in code:

save.image(file='myEnvironment.RData')
quit(save='no')
load('myEnvironment.RData')

But how would I do the same thing with a script? rather than the environment?

David

Robert W. Baer, Ph.D.
Professor of Physiology
Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
A T Still University of Health Sciences
800 W. Jefferson St
Kirksville, MO 63501
660-626-2321 Department