On Jun 22, 2009, at 7:55 PM, David Winsemius wrote:

On Jun 22, 2009, at 6:16 PM, Clifford Long wrote:

Hi David,

I appreciate the advice. I had coerced 'list4' to as.list, but forgot to specify "list=()" in the call to aggregate. I made the correction,
and now get the following:

slope.mult = simarray[,1]
adj.slope.value = simarray[,2]
adj.slope.level = simarray[,2]
qc.run.violation = simarray[,5]
simarray.part = cbind(slope.mult, adj.slope.value, qc.run.violation, adj.slope.level)
list4 = as.list(simarray.part[,4])
agg.result = aggregate(simarray.part[,3], by=list(list4), FUN = mean)
Error in sort.list(unique.default(x), na.last = TRUE) :
'x' must be atomic for 'sort.list'
Have you called 'sort' on a list?

... I'm not sure what this means that I've done wrong.  I did check
'list4' using "is.list", and get "TRUE" back as an answer, so feel
that my mistake is some other fundamental aspect of R that I'm failing
to grasp.

To your note on 'tapply' ... I did try this as well (actually, tried
it first) with no initial success.  On your recommendation, I gave
tapply another go, and get something recognizable:

vtt = tapply(simarray.part[,3], simarray.part[,2], mean)

snipped other stuff...

I would like to be able to plot
one against the other.

plot(names(vtt), vtt)