Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:
"Anna H. Pryor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I looked at the Introduction to R and am still confused. Would it be possible to ask a question in which I have three vectors and I want to perform an anova on them. Say A,B, and C. Is there a standard form that I could use in lm to get a model that I could use in anova? Do I need to know more about my problem?

I really appreciate any help in this.

There are many forms of anova. The type you describe, I presume, is
data from three separate groups, aka one-way ANOVA. You need to first
force your data into the parallel-vector layout like this

  y <- c(A,B,C)
  group <- factor(rep(1:3,c(7,9,13))) # provided there are 7 elements
                                      # in A, 9 in B and 13 in C

and then

anova(lm(y~group))

or, for some more options, consider

oneway.test(y~group)

Peter, being modest, didn't mention that he's written a very good book about R for technical people who aren't statisticians. At fatbrain:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/textbooks/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0387954759&TXT=Y&itm=1

If you're not a statistician but are required to use some statistical methods (such as anova), this is a very helpful book. Most of R's documentation is aimed at statisticians, so this book fills a gap very nicely.

Cheers

Jason
--
Indigo Industrial Controls Ltd.