Thank you very much to Tony Plate for his really clear explanation, and to
Prof Ripley for his time solving this deficiency (IMHO)

On Friday 15 August 2003 08:44, Martin Maechler wrote:

> Thank you, Tony.  This certainly was the most precise
> explanation on this thread.
>
> Everyone note however, that this has been improved (by Brian
> Ripley) in the current R-devel {which should be come R 1.8 in October}.
> There, also "$<-" assignment of data frames does check things
> and in this case will do the same replication as the [,] or [[]]
> assignments do.
> For back compatibility (with S-plus and earlier R versions), I'd
> still recommend using bracket "[" rather than "$" assignment for
> data frames.
>
> Martin Maechler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
> Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16  Leonhardstr. 27
> ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)        8092 Zurich     SWITZERLAND
> phone: x-41-1-632-3408                fax: ...-1228                   <><

                                         Alberto G. Murta
Institute for Agriculture and Fisheries Research (INIAP-IPIMAR)
Av. Brasilia, 1449-006 Lisboa, Portugal | Phone: +351 213027062
Fax:+351 213015948 | http://www.ipimar-iniap.ipimar.pt/pelagicos/